Y’all I seriously feel like a weight has been lifted. After my post earlier this week I finally feel like I can get back to blogging regularly! It’s still probably not going to be as often as I would like until the market season is over, but I have so much I want to share with you!
But for now, my week in review!
I’m doing a bit of freezer clean-out right now, so our meal prep was super basic. Hard boiled eggs and protein balls for snacks; Turkey and Bean Burritos (based on this recipe) for Draz!
I didn’t get in as many workouts as I would have liked this week due to some of my work schedule. But I taught 3 Pound classes and had a few days with a pretty high step count! I’m planning on upping this a bit in the coming week if I can!
What I’m Loving this Week
Our new cat and listening to the Sisterhood of Sweat podcast!
While I did have some stress related food cravings this week, I managed to keep them mostly in check. I did indulge a bit of the craving…but I also controlled portion size! Since this is a serious difficulty for me when I’m really stressed, I’m pretty proud of myself for the self-control.
I also haven’t been getting as much sleep lately as I need. Some of it was work related and not an issue anymore, but the rest…not so much. I am trying a new planning routine that I hope will help with productivity, letting me feel like I can get to bed earlier.
For Locals: Upcoming Events
July 31 – Rock the Library Pound Class! Ericson Library, Boone, IA 6:30 – 7 pm
August 12 – Pound and Pour at Jasper Winery, Des Moines, IA 1-2 pm
As I mentioned last week, the second half of 2017 was missing a lot of balance for me. One of the biggest things lacking was a steady workout routine! As my jewelry business kinda took over my life and my focus, I allowed it to create excuses for me too. I couldn’t go to the gym…I had jewelry to finish up! Now, some of that was legitimate. But at lot of it was lack of focus on the bigger picture and what I truly needed.
So here I am, markets and the holiday season done for now. It’s a new year and I want it to be a year of balance! Of growth, yes, but not at the sacrifice of my health and happiness. And one of the ways to maintain that? With a steady workout routine!
But it can be hard to get back into a workout routine after you have been skipping for a while. You know you want to do it and that you will feel better when you do. But you’ve also gotten used to having that extra time! So how do you get back into your routine? Or better yet, set a new and better one?
There are a lot of ways to go about it, but here is how I have worked to set a routine that works for me and that (I hope) will help keep me on track even when market season comes around again!
- Take a hard look at your current schedule.
- What things are immovable? I currently have my FT job, PT job, and sleep. Those are the regular things on my schedule that can’t or shouldn’t be changed!
- Do you have any big time-wasters that need to be removed from your current routine?
- Do you have a time of day you prefer to workout? Does that time of day work for your set schedule?
- Is there anything you need to change or add in that would help you be successful?
- These could be things like packing your bag and/or food the day before. Meal prepping if you don’t already. Changing from a routine at the gym to one at home if the travel time is what is stopping you.
- Write it down! Set your week in advance and write in your workouts.
- Not just the word “workout” but when and even what workout you are going to be doing! Make sure to plan in roughly how long the workout is going to take.
- Allow for some give, especially at first. Going from not working out to 6-7 days a week is not usually feasible.
- I am aiming for 6 a week, but my minimum is 3. If I hit 3 and miss the rest, that’s ok. It doesn’t mean I don’t stop trying for 6, but it does mean that I don’t beat myself up as much for missing!
- Need some extra motivation? Join in a movement online and use others to help you with that extra push!
- The one I’m loving right now is the #IAmLimitless movement with FitApproach! Check out the Instagram feed here!
It has felt great to get back into the gym on a regular basis and to feel more fit and healthy again! And I want that feeling for you too!
Are you just getting back into your routine? What tools or tips are you using to help you do it? I would love to hear your thoughts, so please leave a comment below or shoot me an email!